[Wylug-help] firewall issues

Adam Greenwood adam at greenwood-peace.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 18:27:30 GMT 2006

The first thought that comes to mind is, if you have a linux box and a
windows box both behind your ADSL firewall, why worry about outgoing
traffic from the linux box? If the windows box can see the data via
samba you'll be padlocking your side door and leaving the front door
wide open. If you do have sensitive data on the linux box, what you say
is true though, if someone gets to it somehow they wouldn't be able to
connectly out directly.

Assuming you do want to block outbound traffic from the linux box, you
could either block traffic leaving your linux box with any destination
other than your local network, or at the router you could block traffic
from your linux box to anywhere (or to outside, it should be the same if
your router is your gateway). The router option would be better as it
prevents any traffic leaving your linux box even if your box has been
rooted - a firewall on the box can be turned off if the box has been
compromised. However, if your linux box cannot be seen from outside, all
it does is protect you from possible consequences of a succesful attack
on your linux box via a worm/virus etc on your windows box. In that
case, they can use the windows box to get back out... or, I suppose it
is theoretically possible to get a worm-style compromise via windows
which gets itself onto the linux box but without any control, so all it
can do is send out..? In the end locking everything down that can be
locked down can't be a bad idea.

I use a DMZ for machines that have to be exposed to the public network,
and they are still behind a firewall, but are also seperated from the
'internal' office part of the network by another firewall which lets
nothing in at all. You can get from inside to the DMZ, you can get from
outside to specific ports in the DMZ, but you can't get anything from
the DMZ to inside - you have to push or fetch things from inside. (I
mean establish connections to when I say 'get to', the return traffic
for established connections is allowed).

Beyond that, I have a number of machines that have to see the outside
from inside, including windows desktops (it's true I'm afraid), so I
don't currently worry about the linux boxes being able to connect
outwards - if someone gets onto them it has to be via a windows box,
which has access to my sensitive data via samba. But, maybe I'll look
into it some more and think about whether to lock down stuff that seems
like it's not a problem, just in case.

I should say that I'm a server guy with some firewall knowledge, not a
security/firewall guy. I'd be interested in whether a security guru
could suggest a more compelling reasone for blocking outbound traffic
from firewalled linux boxes when there are windows boxes for which it's
allowed.

All interesting stuff anyway.

HTH,

Adam