[WYLUG-help] GPG in Evolution email

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sat May 20 18:06:02 BST 2006

I installed GPG some time ago and generated keys and a pass phrase. I
got the relevant success messages after having initial difficulties and
getting help here. However, I hadn't used it apart from a couple of
tries just after I'd installed it to send signed and/or encrypted mail
without success. Here's the gubbins from generating the keys:

> gpg: /home/xxxx/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> gpg: key X0X0XX00 marked as ultimately trusted
> public and secret key created and signed.
>
> gpg: checking the trustdb
> gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
> gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
> gpg: next trustdb check due at 2007-01-14
> pub   1024D/XXX99XXX 2006-01-14 [expires: 2007-01-14]
>       Key fingerprint = 0000 000X XX00 XX00 0XXX  000X 0X00 0XX0 X0X0 XX00
> uid                  Mike Goodman (Director, Stop Watch Web Limited) <mike.goodman at stopwatchweb.co.uk>
> sub   2048g/0000XX00 2006-01-14 [expires: 2007-01-14]

This bit could be interesting, but I don't know what to do about it:

> gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model

When I receive mail from someone using a digital signature, the box at
the bottom of the email says

> Valid signature, cannot verify sender

whereas before I installed GPG there was a load of nonsense there.