[WYLUG-help] apt-get install old on new

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Sun May 28 23:05:23 BST 2006

Hi, Folks,

It would be useful to use phpmyadmin and phppgadmin on deb sarge 3.1
already running php5, but the apt-get install command for phppgadmin,
which is very similar to what comes up for phpmyadmin, is:

> duke:~# apt-get install phppgadmin
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   apache-common libapache-mod-php4 php4 php4-pgsql wwwconfig-common
> Suggested packages:
>   apache apache-ssl apache-perl php4-pear
>   apache-common libapache-mod-php4 php4 php4-pgsql phppgadmin wwwconfig-common
> 0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 3210kB of archives.
> After unpacking 10.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

There's a load of php4 stuff in there.

Worse, it looks as though it's not recognising the fact that apache2 is already installed (and working nicely after a worry, thank you).

I don't mind either so long as it doesn't screw up what I've got installed already.

So the question is, is it safe to proceed or should I consider a download from the base sites and compile?

TIA, Mike