[Wylug-help] Bad Passwords

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed Apr 11 22:08:17 BST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Trevor Noland wrote:

> Particularly annoying are the ones said to be based on dictionary words,
> because most words in the dictionaries here (in Spain) are accepted, the
> ones being rejected are the "foreign" words found in English.
> (Should I have mentioned at the beginning that I was writing from Spain?)
> (Why Wylug and not something more local? Well I was born and lived the first
> 20 years of my life in Leeds, also Wylug seems to work much better than any
> others I've lurked in!)
>
> My question at last (if anyone has read this far):
>
> Is there a way to get Linux to accept passwords that it doesn't like?

This is likely to be controlled by the PAM system, see

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/old/pam-3.html

for an overview.

Somewhere in the files in /etc/pam.d  will be specified to use the
pam_cracklib or pam_passwdqc modules. You need to remove this.

This article has some more info

  http://security.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/09/20/1555239&tid=35