[Wylug-help] Help needed setting up server and LAN

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 21:29:04 BST 2007

Chris Davies MBCS wrote:
> Mike Goodman wrote:
>> 5. Configure the Router to have a route to 192.168.1.0/24 // Broken.

> The terminology 192.168.1.0/24 is shorthand for "the network 192.168.1.0
> with a 24-bit netmask, i.e. 255.255.255.0". On a Netgear DG814
> configuration of such routes can be found under Advanced - Static Routes
> (http://192.168.1.0/staticroutes.htm).

OK. That means I guessed correctly last night. However, after following
your instructions below, I still had to reset it to 192.168.0.1 to get a
working internet connection on the workstation - wire plugged in to
router, not to the box I am still hoping to make into a server. I could
ping an IP address, but not a fqdn, from a terminal.

> Log in as root and try this:
>
> ifdown eth0        # Don't worry if it says it's already down
> ifup eth0        # This should "just work" silently
>
> You should then have an interface defined for eth0, i.e. "ifconfig eth0"
> should show you an IP address, etc.
On booting up, I got # login: eth1: setting full duplex based on MII#1
link partner capability of 4 5e1 (new line after figure 4 so I don't
know if there's supposed to be a space)

Blank line after ifdown eth0

ifup eth0 elicited:
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full duplex, 1pa 0x41E1

Yup. ifonfig eth0 shows the IP address as set, i.e. 192.168.0.1, with 0
packet loss and all that.

Pinged an IP address and no packet loss. Thought it all looked good, to
this point.

Tried apt-get, though, and ping a fqdn and no joy with either. Is there
something more to do, or did I go wrong somewhere?

TIA, Mike