[Wylug-help] Fedora, IDE and RAID

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Tue Dec 4 15:22:29 GMT 2007

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 November 2007 13:44, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I'm just about to set up  a Fedora box with 3 320GB HDDs and I want to set
>> up software RAID. Anyone got any good pointers on links on how to do this?
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Hi folks
>
> After listening to a few suggestions I've set up a test server.  All of this
> is done through software raid configured using Druid as part of the FC7
> install.
>
> I've put 3x80GB HDD's in as sda,sdb and sdc.
>
> sda1, sdb1 and sdc1 as /dev/md0 raid1 /boot
> sda2, sdb2 and sdc2 as /dev/md1 raid5 swap
> sda3, sdb3 and sdc3 as /dev/md2 raid5 /
>
> Everything works fine, boots up, services run etc.
> However, when I try to test the RAID by booting up with one of the disks
> disconnected GRUB fails to start Linux. It doesn't matter which disk I remove
> it behaves the same.
>
> Am I expecting too much or am I just missing something? I thought that this
> was the point of RAID.
>
> Gary

Hi Gary,

GRUB doesn't do RAID as far as I know.

I use RHEL which is similar to FC7 and all my servers have a /boot
partition on sda1 and sdb1 and I mirror those using software raid.

In addition I installed grub on BOTH sda and sdb.

That way there is always a /boot and a boot sector with grub on it if I
lose one of the sda or sdb discs and it will always be (hd0,0).

HTH.
Shaun.