[Wylug-help] FC4->FC5 upgrade PHP issues.

Phil Sinclair ibuprofenman2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 04:23:18 GMT 2007

> Hi Shaun.
>
> I've already done this (because I thought it was
> ignoring other settings too)
> but it was using the correct php.ini. (I had missed
> one of the settings I
> needed to change). However, it still ignores the
> timezone entry, while
> allowing it quite happily inside my php scripts.
> I'll have to wait for BST to
> start to see how/if  it handles that okay.
>
> Thanks anyway
>
> Gary

I have just upgraded from FC4->FC6 and the laughable
thing is that although I went with a very minimum
installation, apache+php+mysql were installed despite
me not ticking these boxes in the setup procedure.

I uninstalled them, downloaded the source and
installed these instead and no problems. I've been
doing this for a few years now because then you don't
have to play "hide and seek" if you install everything
under /usr/local/

Here's the some lines form .bash_history which people
might find useful.

#General
cp mysql-standard-5.0.27-linux-i686-glibc23.tar.gz
/usr/local/
cp httpd-2.2.4.tar.gz /usr/local/
cp php-5.2.1.tar.gz /usr/local/

#MySQL
tar zxvf
mysql-standard-5.0.20-linux-i686-glibc23.tar.gz
ln -s mysql-standard-5.0.20-linux-i686-glibc23
/usr/local/mysql
groupadd mysql
useradd mysql -g mysql
cd mysql
cd /usr/local/mysql
scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
chown -R root .
chown -R mysql data
chgrp -R mysql .
cd /usr/local/mysql/support-files
cp mysql.server /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld
chkconfig --add mysqld

#Apache
cd /usr/local
tar zxvf httpd-2.2.0.tar.gz
cd httpd-2.2.0
cd ..
ln -s httpd-2.2.0 httpd
cd httpd
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-so
--enable-rewrite --enable-cgi
make
make install

#PHP5
cd /usr/local/
tar zxvf php-5.2.1.tar.gz
./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-gd --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
--with-prefix=/usr/local/php
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/include --enable-ftp
--enable-mbstring --with-curl
--with-mysqli=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config
--with-pdo-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install

Now don't forget to set-up PHP in httpd.conf with a
line something like:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4 .phtml

If you are running an old linux server at home off a
router and cable modem to build/test websites before
they become real, here's a handy template. It allows
you to work on any computer behind that router with
something like ZoneEdit.com providing the DNS. No
external computer can view your websites as you have
limited access to just the IP address of the router.

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk
  ServerAlias www.madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk
  DocumentRoot
/home/username/madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk/html
  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/
/home/username/madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/
  DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.shtml
index.html

  <Directory
"/home/username/madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk/html">
    Options Indexes MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from 8*.20*.5*.2**

  CustomLog
/home/username/madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk/logs/access_log
combined
  ErrorLog
/home/username/madasaboxoffrogs.co.uk/logs/error_log

</VirtualHost>

Note: Just replace 8*.20*.5*.2** with your own IP
address without any ***.