[Wylug-help] copy /dev

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Sat Feb 17 21:56:21 GMT 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Don Magee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I feel sure that there is a simple answer to this question but I haven't
> found it yet. I am making a copy of a boot disk to put on a different
> machine. I've used dd in the past and it all works fine. But this time
> the partition size is different so I am using cp. But how do you make an
> exact copy of /dev. There doesn't seem to be a cp option or a specific
> program to do the job.

"tar" can do it.

something like

 (cd /mnt/part1 ; tar clf - ) | ( cd /mnt/part2 ; tar xfv - -p )

some of the options explained....

       -c, --create
              create a new archive

       -l, --one-file-system
              stay in local file system when creating an archive

       -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
              use  archive file or device F (default "-", meaning
              stdin/stdout)

       -x, --extract, --get
              extract files from an archive

       -v, --verbose
              verbosely list files processed

       -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions
              extract all protection information