[Wylug-help] Disaster recovery: I really need it

shaun laughey shaun at laughey.com
Sat Feb 24 23:52:05 GMT 2007

EEEK!

Done it myself Dave - partition table recovery is possible - I used gpart.

"If you just destroyed your own partition table, but have not rebooted Linux :
Don't reboot! You can still retrieve the partition information stored in the
Kernel"

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Partition-Rescue.html

Hopefully you have gpart installed - it does all the hardwork.

And Yes dd'ing the hd to another drive is a damn good idea.

You can always dd back if it's wrong - which I did but then gpart was
wonderful and just fixed it all.

I had 5 SATA disks and for some reason Fedora swapped some of the disks round
from how Suse saw them. From that day on I've used labels.

Good luck Dave,
Shaun Laughey.