[Wylug-help] USB Flash: device numbers, filenames and grub

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 17:57:33 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:28:41PM +0000, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
> >So now 'all' I need to do is find a way of identifying the grub names
> >for partitions non-interactively ;-)
>
> Is something like syslinux not better suited to this task rather than
> fighting
> with grub to work as you want?

Possibly, but:

  1. I don't really want to use FAT, if I can avoid it.

  2. I like the flexibility/extendability of grub.

  3. The last time I dabbled with syslinux I found the
  website/documentation to be fragmentary and confusing, i.e. too many
  tiny pieces of unconnected/under-explained faqs.

    For example:

       http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php#harddrive

    Answers the question: "Can I Use SYSLINUX on a Hard Drive?" by telling
    me how to install an MBR under DOS ?!

    Now, I know that I can look around for what to do once I have an
    MBR, but that seems to take sufficiency/terseness in documentation
    just a little too far.

Dave