[Wylug-help] Disk Images and Partitions

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 13:33:40 BST 2007

Hi All,

I recently created a Debian Live image file, and copied it to a usb
stick using dd ... creating one active primary partition on the stick.

After a bit of syslinux.cfg tweaking, the stick now boots a live debian
system pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, I can't check/fix any errors on the new partition, or
resize it with parted and friends.

fsck.msdos reports:

  Seek to 421494272:Invalid argument

N.B. The number is the place where the partition table says that
partition is supposed to end. I don't think that there should be no
other hidden, or partially deleted partitions, on the stick, since I
prepared it by dd'ing (if=/dev/zero) over the entire device.

Any ideas about either the cause or solutions?

Dave