[Wylug-help] Starting a network connection

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Mon Jul 16 15:34:58 BST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 john at bopa.co.uk wrote:

> It seems like a hardware fault to me. I don't see any light on my router
> when I connect a cable between the laptop and the router - I've tried
> two different cables which are known to work. So it looks as though the
> LAN port is either faulty or disabled in some way. ifconfig eth0 looks
> fine. Is there anything else I can run to perform a diagnostic test?

It sort of depends on the equipment. Have you tried with a cross-over
cable? Although alot of ethernet hardware nowadays autodetects and
internally "swaps" pins etc. if necessary.

Anyway it looks like you may need alternatives to the network to get data
off. A USB connected hard drive? USB to IDE caddies are relatviely cheap.