[Wylug-help] SUSE cock-up

Toft, Alex A.Toft at leedsmet.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 14:57:17 BST 2007

The other useful command from the recovery console is bootcfg. Used with
the /rebuild switch it can reconstruct your boot.ini file, which is
useful if you've moved your windows partition around etc.

If you've got a totally hosed system which won't boot after trying those
3 tweaks from the recovery console, you need what's called a repair
install. Note that this is NOT the same as an automatic repair. When you
get to the first option screen after booting from CD, press Enter to
setup windows (I know, I know... keep reading). It will scan for any
current installations and if it finds one will then offer you the chance
to repair it. If it doesn't offer you the option, you must quit at this
point. Whilst this effectively reinstalls the OS, it does not wipe any
of your installed programs, settings or files. It's useful if for
example you move your hard disc to a machine with a different
motherboard that uses a different IDE controller - a common cause of
boot blue-screens.

I've never found automatic recovery to be any use whatsoever.

Now... if we're done discussing the legacy Windoze platform... :p