[Wylug-help] ubuntu window problem

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Tue Jul 24 15:10:56 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 14:06 +0100, linux at sh2515.plus.com wrote:
> did that and came up:
>
> root at scott-desktop:~# metacity --replace
> Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
> most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
> the window manager.
> root at scott-desktop:~#
>
> i swear i didn't do anything like that.
>

> > Try doing a 'metacity --replace' which will override whichever window
> > manager is currently being used (sounds like beryl) with metacity.

Hiya Scott,

Hopefully you're not logging into X as root. ;)

On ubuntu don't run X commands as root. Use sudo. Root user doesn't have
X access without jumping through some hoops and potential security
holes.

As the person running the X window desktop session run the metacity
command - in a terminal - in the desktop session. i.e. log in to a gnome
session - open an xterm/konsole/gnome-terminal/rxvt (insert your
favourite terminal) - then type metacity --replace and hey presto
metacity replaces your non-existant/faulty window manager.

Additionally a piece of software called beryl-manager sits in the corner
near the clock and lets you choose a fall back window manager and/or
replace beryl completely. It also lets you play with some settings that
make it more Nvidia/ATI friendly which might cure your problem.

Have you thought of removing beryl? I have a fairly recent nvidia
graphics card (7950) and it doesn't work with beryl/compiz.

HTH.

Shaun Laughey.

p.s.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.