[Wylug-help] linux and flash

Yiannis Gatsoulis menig at leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 22 10:38:53 BST 2007

Shaun Laughey wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 09:22 +0100, Nick R wrote:
>
>> Last time I investigated using flash (a few years ago), it was a 100%
>> complete no go or provide a non-flash html text alternative.
>>
>> With flash 8 there is an effort towards accessibility, check
>> http://www.adobe.com/resources/accessibility/flash8/ but I have not
>> touched flash for a long time.
>>
>> Cheers, Nick.

>>> A smug answer is that people with the good taste to use linux do not develop
>>> in Flash, however a quick Google points me at
>>> http://osflash.org/linux
>>>

>>> Is it possible to develop acceptable accessibility in a site using flash?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

> Yes, accessibility works to an extent in flash. Within flashes own
> limited accessibility definitions. There's a brief discussion on Adobe's
> site.
>
> However many sites I've worked on using flash have used keyboard
> navigation and zoomable text.
>
> As for searchable - no.
>
> As for accessible using alternate browsers - no.
>
> Overall flash is a poor substitute for nice hard text but if you have to
> develop in it then Linux is a perfectly viable development platform as I
> said we found all our best flash was produced via Eclipse with no
> Macromedia flash timeline interface stuff to screw it up.
>
> Shaun Laughey.

Right, so basically source is the force again. Pity in this case.... I
was thinking more of something like a drag n' drop rapid development
tool which will allow me to do simple stuff.... in a form of more like
interactive kind of thing, presentation, multimedia, help, etc....
Thanks for the replies.