[Wylug-help] filesplitter for linux/windows

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Tue May 22 11:06:10 BST 2007

> another quick question as I must be sure about that. Is there a
> filesplitter for linux/windows.... Basically I want to split the file
> which is a zip or gz archive under linux and join it under
> windows....
> Gnome file-roller seems to have no option about that... Any
> alternatives? Thanks.

  If you're comfortable with the command line[*1], on the Linux side you
split with dd[*2] (adding the 'skip=n', 'count=1', 'bs=1423k'[*3]
options) as many times as necessary and [on Windows] join with copy
(IIRC using '/b' for binary mode).

[*1] or see http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/, amongst others
[*2] You may also find you can pipe the 'dd' output directly into 'mcopy
- a:foo'
[*3] free space on 1.44MB msdos format disk (minus overheads)

Cheers,
  Wills.