[Wylug-help] Laptop External Display

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 24 14:12:28 BST 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Smylers wrote:

> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and generally accepting the defaults left
> me with resolutions 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480 all enabled.
> Pressing Alt+Keypad-Plus switches between them, but the non-default
> resolutions only appear to be 'zoomed in' versions of the default.
>
> That is if the GDM desktop is 1024x768 then switching doesn't make the
> (logical) desktop have fewer pixels on it; it just makes what was there
> before bigger and only displays a part of it (the mouse pans around).
> Presumably there's a way of making GDM/Gnome/X/whatever actually think
> the logical desktop area is a different size?

The xrandr extension is fairly standard now, and lets you do this.  In Fedora
you have System/Preferences/Screen Resolution, which should list all modes
made available by xorg.  I've no idea if that's a gnome default or a Fedora
one.

> This happens consistently on both the built-in and external displays --
> and regardless of the zoom level I still got the behaviour of either
> display being correct on its own but the external one being wriggly if
> the built-in one was also on.

It's this 'wriggly' that I don't like.

jh

--
"Disney has the best casting.  If he doesn't like an actor, he just tears him
  up."                                                -- Alfred Hitchcock