[Wylug-help] PHP interacting with xinetd

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Wed Nov 7 12:31:19 GMT 2007

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got a web site running on one server and I want to have it control a
> service controlled by xinetd on another server.
>
> Anyone got any pointers/links that could help
>
> Gary
Hiya Gary,

I have done similar but not from a website - I had a client who only
used PHP for EVERYTHING on their Windows and Linux boxen.

Use the PHP ssh module and script it.

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/function.ssh2-exec.php*

Or

*(S)FTP a control file to the Victim and have a crontab on Victim look
for a control file every minute and run the script there. Or use a file
watching daemon to fire off the script. e.g. Gamin (I've only seen
Python and Ruby bindings for Gamin)

Either way security is a concern here when doing something like this -
the SSH route is more secure but then how secure is your PHP you could
be opening a shell to the outside world? You can use restricted shells
and shared certificates to help reduce the threat. It logs in and runs
it's _one_ available command and logs out. But then there could be ways
round that.

Good luck,

Shaun Laughey.