[Wylug-help] Fedora, IDE and RAID

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 15:42:24 GMT 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I'm just about to set up  a Fedora box with 3 320GB HDDs and I want to set up
> software RAID. Anyone got any good pointers on links on how to do this?

The installer supports RAID out of the box.  Assumingly you're creating a
non-bootable RAID (anything other than RAID1 I think) then you need a separate
/boot.  That can be RAID1, or just a regular partition, it depends on what you
want.  If were doing RAID5, I'd tend to make all disks the same:

part1 /boot 100Mb
part2 raid  The rest

Then you should be able to select all the partitions and set them to be RAID5
within anaconda.  That'll then leave you with md0, your RAID device.  On
/that/ I then just mark is at a Physical Volume, and all the rest of the setup
is identical to a non-RAID setup.

jh

--
"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
                                                      -- Robert Heinlein