[Wylug-help] Undelete and the perils of GUIs

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 17:19:28 BST 2007

Hi,

OK, I have to admit to the embarrassment of just having deleted most of
my home directory on a non-vatal machine.

I'm not certain how it happened, cos I was working on another machine at
the time the deletions occurred (I was alerted by disk thrashing
sounds), but I think that I was victim of very slow screen refreshing.

I had intended to move a folder from the desktop using the
gnome/nautilus context menu (right-hand mouse button), but it looks as
though nautilus selected the 'Home' folder instead and accepted the mouse click
while focus was on the 'delete' menu item rather than the 'cut' item.

I don't think I've lost anything vital, since I store important data in
a separate directory for easier back-up and version control.

That said, I'd like to try recovering the data, just in case there was
something that I hadn't back-ed up.

It used to be possible to recover stuff from blocks which hadn't been
re-written under ext2/ext3.

Can anyone point me to a brief, clear and correct Howto, before I log
out and lose my current state?

Dave