[Wylug-help] Browser Keyboard Shortcuts and Form Controls

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Oct 31 22:32:38 GMT 2007

Dave Fisher writes:

> I'd love to be able to browse comfortably without ever having to take
> my hand off the keyboard to use the mouse.
>
> The one thing that I really stumble over is shifting focus to form
> controls.

In Firefox I have this set in user.js (or you can use about:config),
which makes Tab only cycle through form controls, not links:

  user_pref("accessibility.tabfocus", 3);

For navigating to text links you can just search for the text.  By
default ' starts searching for text in a link, but I have Firefox
configured so that when a webpage is focused, a text link can be focused
just by typing (part of) its text.  This is a two-stage configuration
process; first make Firefox start searching as you type, by ticking this
checkbox:

  Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General > Search for text when I start
  typing

And secondly restrict that to just links by setting this preference:

  user_pref("accessibility.typeaheadfind.linksonly", true);

Notes:

* When the letters you've typed focus the 'wrong' link you can either
  type more letters or press F3 to cycle through matching links.

* You can still search for non-links by pressing / then your search
  text.

* These settings leave you without a way of focusing an image link.
  Fortunately most sites have the link in text as well.

* They also don't let you focus submit images.  Mostly these are just
  nicer-looking submit buttons and pressing Enter submits the form
  satisfactorily, but occasionally they trigger JavaScript or something
  and you need to actually click them.

Smylers