[Wylug-help] Getting a SATA II drive to work as SATA I

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 16:09:27 BST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I knew I had only SATA I capability, and I asked around and was told that
> generally there was no problem.  The drives in question I bought from a
> family member who had bought them, then decided he wanted bigger ones.  Until
> I tried to install them I didn't realise that they didn't have the required
> jumper.  (Abit's Tech Support said that they had only ever seen Hitachi
> drives without the jumper, so perhaps it's not surprising that most people
> had found no problem.)

Correctly implemented controllers that only do SATA I should work fine with
SATA II.  The problem is only with a limited number of chipsets.  So it's not
so much that you only have SATA I capability, as that shouldn't be a problem.

jh

--
"I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, than screaming in
  terror like his passengers."                        -- Bob Monkhouse (?)