[Wylug-help] Re: Is the Lenovo R61 a good choice? - graphics chipset

Chris Myers chris at ascent.plus.com
Sun Sep 16 10:07:19 BST 2007

Thank guys for your replys.

I finally made my choice & went for the Lenovo 3000 N200 (TY2B4UK):

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4LF3&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=3000+n200&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

The specs were similar. I sacrificed the 'Thinkpad' brand robustness for
a slightly higher spec. I am very pleased with the results.

In case people are thinking of getting a new laptop here are the details:

Ubuntu Feisty would not boot to a live CD. However people report that
the alternative install works fine (I never tried it).

Ubuntu Gutsy (tribe 5 alpha) boots to a live CD & installs fine:

Grahics work perfectly with the native resolution of 1680x1050 using the
open source nv driver - If you want to play with compiz-fusion, the
proprietary driver works fine too.

Wireless LAN works perfectly.

Wired LAN works perfectly.

Bluetooth works perfectly.

Webcam works perfectly - In Ekiga, set:

	edit>preferences>devices>video devices>V4L2

Sound does not work out-of-the-box, but this is simply fixed by adding
the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

options snd-hda-intel single_cmd=1 model=lenovo

The fingerprint scanner is not recognised, but there are projects such
as bioapi & thinkfinger. I have not had time to try these out yet.

I hope this is useful.

Chris.