[Wylug-help] Increasing the console resolution.

Chris Myers chris at ascent.plus.com
Thu Sep 20 20:25:41 BST 2007

Hi there,

Im running an Ubuntu server as a NAS (& various other things).

The server has no gui, no X. It only has a shell prompt.

How do I force a higher screen resolution for the shell so that I can
get more text on screen?

I have tried modifying /boot/grub/menu.list

I added vga=791 to the kernel I am using. Like so:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=d76bca45-bcd9-415a-9e4
4-b7f8faae9709 ro vga=791 quiet splash

I have tried various options of VGA=xxx including:

794
775
771
0x31A

All of these produce the same results:

"You passed an undefined mode number. Press RETURN to see video modes
available"

I did some more research.

I tried vesa=791 option on a desktop version of Ubuntu & it worked fine.

This leads me to think that my Feisty server has a component missing
that would allow me to change the resolution.

Does anyone have any ideas?