[Wylug-help] SSH over HTTP/HTTPS (Corkscrew?)

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 18:03:19 BST 2007

Hi All,

Has anyone here got experience of a reliable, easily configurable,
method of establishing ssh/scp connections from inside a heavily
firewalled network?

Googling brings up lots of recommendations for corkscrew  ... any
alternative viewpoints here?

The client looks simple to use and configure, but:

   1. The homepage http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/ says that it only
      does 'basic authentication'.

   2. I can't find much useful about how to configure a proxy server for
      it to use.

I could probably switch from 'Digest authentication' to 'basic
authentication' (assuming that means .htaccess?) on one of my home
webservers, but I'm a bit stuck on the proxy issue.

What are the pros and cons of using squid rather than apache as the
proxy?

Can anyone point me to useful docs on configuring either for this
purpose?

Dave