[Wylug-help] Portable Cream Text Editor

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 00:02:40 BST 2007

Hi,

I imagine several wyluggers have had occasion to run portable Gvim on
Windows:

  http://portablegvim.sourceforge.net/

For personal editing in locked-down Windows environments, all I need is
this and my own vimrc file on a USB stick.

However, I'd like to be able teach students using Windows from my own
Linux Desktop (when I can't install apps on their Windows machines).

So what I'd really like to do is distribute a portable form of Cream on
CD and/or USB stick.

I've seen several sites which claim that configuring portable Gvim to
use Cream is trivial.  Unfortunately, I've seen no _explanation_ of the
method.

This page offers a 'copy and paste' approach which doesn't work as
promised:

   http://johnscomputerjournal.blogspot.com/2007/02/portable-gvim-with-cream.html

When I run the suggested .bat file, portable Gvim starts, but bombs out
after complaining that it can't find --servername CREAM.

I'm guessing that this may just be a path problem, but I can't figure
out how to fix it (I'm not sure whether my problem is
ignorance/forgetfulness of vim or Windows).

I am hoping that someone here might have stumbled over, and fixed, the
problem already ... wishful thinking?

Dave