[Wylug-help] Infernal machines

glennschultz at talktalk.net glennschultz at talktalk.net
Thu Apr 3 21:30:45 BST 2008

 G'day!

I've got Fedora on my machine (wasn't exactly intentional!) and it seems to do everything I ask it to so it's staying as a welcome guest.? The only problem is that the media players don't work - I've downloaded realplayer and got nothing to play, it just doesn't open at all when I click the icon.? I've tried typing realplayer in the terminal but still get nothing.? When I tried to d/load it again thinking that might work I got a message saying that realplayer was already installed which is what I get when I try to d/load mplayer.? When I try to play video clips in Firefox the mplayer seems to be working and says 'download complete' and claims that it is getting a playlist but then says 'stopped' and that's it.? I've asked 42% of the world population (some of whom were actually Linux users!) and now have an idea that this may be caused by having some of the software downloaded from Livna and some from somewhere else.? Apparently this can cause problems with dependencies.? How (in language suitable for a 11 year old) do I check if this is the case, resolve it if it is and how do I remove software?? Every time I've clicked on the add/remove software option the machine gives me a list of software available to add but no option to remove anything already on the machine.

Any help anyone can give will be gratefully rec'd as my youngest recently wanted to watch a trailer for 'Spiderwick' and now claims to be traumatised for life as a result of not being able to!!

Thanks in advance

Glenn