[Wylug-help] Debian package confusion upgrade vs dist-upgrade

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 23:06:44 BST 2008

Felix Ulrich-Oltean wrote:
<snip>
>  how can I
> just upgrade blender for example if I want to - why is it "held back"?

Would:

# apt-get remove blender
# apt-get install blender

do the trick?

I thought I remembered being able to specify a particular package for
the 'upgrade' command (mostly, I confess, via 'synaptic'), but the copy
of the man page at http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get seems to imply
that isn't so.

Another thought: that man page says you should always do an 'update'
before an 'upgrade' - the first updates the index and the second
upgrades the software.  If you haven't, then perhaps dependencies may
not be in synch.

Don't take any of that as gospel, I'm very much a tyro!

Roger