[Wylug-help] Server upgrade

Roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 00:29:04 BST 2008

Hi all,

I have a server (file, web [apache] and IMAP email) that's 'just growed'
until it's a mess: a pair of 200Gig IDE drives (split into multiple
partitions) plus another pair of 250Gig SATAs, hung on a card because
the mother-board didn't support those (both pairs set up as RAID-1),
plus a pair of DVD drives and both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.  Plus
it overheated if the HDDs were all in the cage, so one is balanced on
the floor of the case.  Finally, on the advice of my guru, who has
unfortuantely moved on, it is running cHaos, on the grounds that that
has a much longer development cycle, meaning it doesn't need updating so
often.  Unfortunately, that distro is just sufficiently different enough
to Fedora (which I have on my workstations) that if I need to tweak
something unfamiliar, I struggle to cope - the GUI menus and utilities
aren't quite the same!

On top of being unaesthetic, I'm running out of space in the root
partition of the smaller disks, and on the bigger ones (lots of hi-res
photos).

Accordingly, I'm planning to replace it.  My plan is to build a complete
new box with a single pair of 750Gig SATAs (and make sure it's working),
transfer the data over the network, then take down the old server, put
its NIC into the new one and change its IP number (so the firewall
recognises it) and go.

1 - Does that seem a sensible plan?
2 - Are there any 'gotcha's' I'm likely to overlook?
3 - Any recommendations about which distro to install?  I'm tempted to
use Fedora because of familiarity on the workstations...
4 - Is there a sensible use for the old box, or do I just de-commission
it/pass it on to the in-laws (after simplification)?

TIA

Roger