[Wylug-help] Re: Wylug-help Digest, Vol 35, Issue 1

James Gregory jgxenite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:42:06 GMT 2008

Hi Glenn,

I don't remember seeing your previous message, but your problem sounds
somewhat similar to the problem I experienced installing XP. Firstly,
as far as I am aware, fdisk is available under Fedora by default, but
you need to be logged in as root (it is a superuser command for
obvious reasons). A slightly more helpful tool might be parted
(qtparted and gparted are the graphical versions) - these can be
installed using "yum install qtparted" or "yum install gparted"
depending on which GUI you are using.

I have also experienced the same mysterious XP boot issue. I think it
possibly stems from either having Linux partitions on your hard drive,
or the Linux partitions being ahead of your Windows partitions in the
partition table. The only solution I found to fixing this problem was
to reformat the drive and install Windows first (I was rebuilding my
PC at the time, so this may not be feasible to you now).

Regarding the USB modem, I don't think Fedora supports many (if any)
USB modems by default. Depending on what kind of USB modem you have,
you may be able to find firmware on the Internet (for some Speedtouch
modems, there are tools available to extract the firmware from the
modem and use that).

Feel free to email me back if you need more help.

James

On 04/02/2008, wylug-help-request at wylug.org.uk

--
James Gregory