[Wylug-help] LAN/samba problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:50:01 GMT 2008

For much of today I was logged into the server, as I needed to work partly on
the laptop and partly on the server.  During the whole of that time samba
worked perfectly.  I re-enabled the firewall, and samba still performed.
During the last half-hour I've been trying to trace a problem on the laptop
(unrelated, and I'll ask about that later), after which I rebooted.  No samba
connections.

I haven't been out to the office to check the server, but a similar thing
happened yesterday early evening.  Yesterday I did go out, and saw

service  smb status
smbd (pid 2871 2859) is running...
nmbd dead but pid file exists

The network is fine.  I can fish to my home directory.  It's just samba that
has stopped responding.

mount -a
6357: Connection to borg2 failed
SMB connection failed
6360: Connection to borg2 failed
SMB connection failed

I can't think of anything that should have caused this.  Any suggestions?
Thanks