[Wylug-help] LAN/samba problems

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat Feb 9 10:49:53 GMT 2008

On 09 Feb 08, Anne Wilson (cannewilson at googlemail.com) wrote:
> iptables configuration is new to me, and I'm struggling with the man pages.
> As usual they are full of info for the initiated, but incomprehensible to a
> beginner :-)  Could you please give me a line for port 901?

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 901 -j ACCEPT

> I replaced them with the following, as recommended on the CentOS list:

> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp -s 192.168.0.0/24 --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
> When trying to iptables-restore I got
>
> iptables-restore v1.3.5: Unknown arg `-s'

Try without '-m udp', the rest looks decent although I've not seen -s
used with network ranges like that before.

I've written a couple of iptables guides that you may find useful

http://patter.mine.nu/index.pl?s=Linux;p=firewall.html
http://patter.mine.nu/index.pl?s=Linux;p=iptables.html

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"