[Wylug-help] Switching the system to a new hard drive

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 12:33:25 GMT 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, James Holden wrote:

>> I'm a fan of tar for this job - but it helps if the root partition is not
>> mounted, so boot Knoppix or similar from a cdrom.

Any real reason to dislike dump?  I've always got on quite well with it, as
long as you set the blocksize to be something large (which makes quite a
difference to performance).

> By bind-mounting the root filesystem, you'll be able to grab a copy of
> it without getting unwanted /proc or /dev udev cruft.

Something wrong with --one-file-system?  I know that doesn't catch things that
are "over mounted", but typically that's not the case.

jh

--
"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use
  in that order."                                    -- Ed Howdershelt