[Wylug-help] Switching the system to a new hard drive

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 14:07:56 GMT 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, James Holden wrote:

>>> By bind-mounting the root filesystem, you'll be able to grab a copy of
>>> it without getting unwanted /proc or /dev udev cruft.
>>
>> Something wrong with --one-file-system?  I know that doesn't catch things
>> that are "over mounted", but typically that's not the case.
>
> Because there's often static stuff in /dev/ that needs to be caught
> before udev comes up.

Okay, that was what I meant by "over mounting".  On the Fedora and CentOS
boxes here, there's nothing in /dev that matters, since udev is kicked into
life by the initrd, and the initrd provides its own /dev up to that point.
In fact just looking now, there's a tiny amount in the under /dev (that I
presume was created at install time) that isn't even correct.

> I've also come across a situation recently when restoring an Ubuntu box from
> tape that meant that unless there was a /var/run directory there before /var
> is mounted, the networking failed to start.

That's just buggy.  If there are "under mounted" files that are important then
it's a really dodgy system.

jh

--
"When we turn to one another for counsel we reduce the number of our enemies."
                                                      -- Kahil Gibran