[Wylug-help] OSM puzzlement

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:03:30 GMT 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008 19:25:33 Martin Rowe wrote:
> On 23/02/2008, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Could someone please look at the attached and make a guess as to what has
> > gone wrong?  Thanks
>
> Can't help with that - sorry

It's OK.  Part of the problem is that I've not used the gps before this
project, so I'm having to learn the hardware and the software at the same
time.  Never a good idea.

> >  The second problem is that I can't download the tracklog and waypoints
> > as separate files, as recommended in the wiki.  If I use
> >  gpsbabel -t garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F thong1-tracklog.gpx
> >
> >  I get 'Extra arguments on command line'.
>
> That's because you haven't correctly told it to use garmin as the
> input type - you need '-i garmin' along with '-t' to get trackpoints
>
> > Similarly if I try to save the
> >  waypoints, using the -i parameter.  I have to use
> >
> >  gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o gpx -F thong1.gpx
>
> waypoints need '-w' (or can be dropped as waypoints are the default).
> You're asking for trackpoints above.

Thanks.  I'm gradually getting there.  It's a pity I couldn't make it to Leeds
yesterday, but I'll get it sorted in the end.

> On my Garmin Vista HCx I can get trackpoints saved to the micro SD
> card by date, so I can pull those off by USB mass storage. Annoyingly
> there seems to be no option to save waypoints to the SD card, so I've
> found I need gpsbabel for that:
>
> gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F waypoints.gpx
>
> So far I've managed okay with getting the data, loading it into JOSM
> and pulling down the existing data that matches that area. What is
> confusing me is using JOSM :( I've managed to complete the section[1]
> between home & work - some of which was already mapped, but not quite
> in the right place - but I've yet to figure out how to do roundabouts
> properly and I obviously wasn't paying enough attention at the meeting
> as I'm struggling to join existing routes with my new ones. It will
> take some time...

As Louisa said, JOSM is 'rather quirky' and the wiki, though helpful, is not
really geared to total newbies.  I've just realised this morning the likely
cause of some of my difficulties - sometimes I'm amazed at how long it takes
for enlightenment to strike :-)

I haven't uploaded anything so far, as I was unsure about how useful my trace
was.  Is it a good idea to upload the trace as soon as I have cleaned it up,
removing the extraneous nodes, and before adding street-names etc.?  I'll be
starting again today from the original trace, deleting the edited versions
that I've saved, so it's not problem if that's best.