[Wylug-help] http logging

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 15:38:50 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008 15:01, Stephen Patterson wrote:
> On 26 Feb 08, Gary Stainburn (gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk) wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I'm wanting to automate extracting data from a web site that requires a
> > login dialog to be completed before the data is available.
> >
> > I've tried playing with wget to try to simulate the conversation manually
> > before looking at a perl or PHP script to automate the process.
>
> You could do it with perl & WWW::Mechanize, that can handle form
> filling, cookies & masquerade as IE.
> http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/WWW-Mechanize-1.34/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm

Hi Stephen.

I'm aware of this, and that's the ultimate plan. However, to start with I
thought I'd do it manually and document each step - hence wget.

I could try the excercise using WWW::Mechanise and see if I have more success.

The reason for asking for good techniques for http tracing was to give me a
better idea of what IE is responding with, to make sure I send the same

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn