[Wylug-help] Radio on BBC iPlayer [a "solution"]

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 12:09:40 BST 2008

Just in case it helps someone else.

I'm not sure which action actually did the trick, but here's the
procedure that I followed:

1. I got the "standalone realplayer" link to work.

   Firefox prompted me to associate the url with the player, but the path
   that it suggested was wrong.

   I typed in the actual path and hey presto!

2. Closed the realplayer and restarted firefox

3. This time Firefox prompted me to install plugins when I reloaded the
   iplayer

4. I chose to install the helix plugin

5. That didn't seem to work (I may have simply forgotten to restart the
   browser), but I was still being prompted to install plugins on the
   iplayer page, so ...

6. I chose to install a "new" (to me) plugin called something like
   "gecko media".

   That spawned synaptic, which then installed 15 packages (too quickly
   for me to see which ones).

7. After re-starting Firefox, everything worked.

I'm not sure whether everything would have worked if I had mereley
restarted Firefox  after the helix install.

It's nice to know that the Ubuntu folks have done this automated integration work,
but I would have preferred to see what was actually going, in case I
have to reproduce it manually some time.

Dave