[Wylug-help] wireless lan assistance

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 14 12:47:01 BST 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008 11:50, John Hodrien wrote:
> I can't say I can agree (just to suggest this isn't quite so clear cut).

I'm not suggesting that the problem is definitely there, just that PCMCIA
cards can be problematic.

> Assuming you have a supported card (we use a near identical dlink to the OP
> at uni) I've not had problems getting it working with a wide variety of
> laptops, with quite a history of different linux distros.  I've yet to have
> a card that fails to work for no identifiable reason.  It's often firmware
> related.

The best minds at Fedora/RH bug-busting team couldn't solve it, yet it worked
with the Live CD and works still with Mandriva.   Most odd.  The only thing I
can conclude is that it is not 'no longer supported' or other such problem.
Nothing more.  But it really bugs me that it couldn't be tied down.