[Wylug-help] OSX to Linux Numerical UIDs

Peter Nix p.j.nix at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:06:50 BST 2008

Roughly and from, bad, memory...

On the client/standalone version of Macos X local ids are managed by a
netinfo database inherited from Next. There's a bunch of system ids
running between -2 and 99. When you setup a new machine the first
created local, and usually admin, user is 501.

You can, optionally,  set up the client mac to authenticate against an
LDAP server or an AD server. This works nicely for clusters of student
machines as it allows  home directories to be kept on servers and
mounted on whichever client machine the student logs into. The
current server version of Macos X has the same setup as the client
plus the option of running an LDAP service which conventionally starts
creating users at 1000.

Peter