[Wylug-help] /etc/resolv.conf Being Overwritten

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Jun 19 13:45:19 BST 2008

Aaron Crane writes:

> Smylers writes:
>
> > Every minute or so something is re-writing /etc/resolv.conf, with
> > National Express's name-server details (as you'd expect it to do
> > when connecting).  This is tiresome, because I've got a VPN
> > connection which added some additional name-servers (and hostname
> > suffixes) to that file when it connected, and those got removed
> > whenever the file was first re-written.
>
> I'd be inclined to investigate one or more of the following <snip> ...
> I'd hope that one or more of those things can be persuaded to add to
> the DNS resolver data supplied by the DHCP server, so that the
> auto-generated /etc/resolv.conf would just magically contain the right
> data.

I think it does -- but only for a a minute or so.

> I'm not clear enough on the behaviour of the VPN to be able to give
> you a simple recipe, but I hope that helps anyway.

So far as I can tell, the VPN bit is working just fine.  The sequence
is:

  1 NetworkManager makes wireless connection happen.

  2 Web-page intercept log-in page thingy.  The internet works, and
    resolv.conf is sane.

  3 I start the VPN.  This automatically updates resolv.conf to contain
    the additional entries needed for the VPN.  Internet and VPN both
    work.

  4 (a minute or so later) resolv.conf reverts to that from step 2; VPN
    hostnames can no longer be resolved, which rather breaks it.

  5 I spot that, so copy over resolv.conf with the one from step 3; VPN
    now works properly again.

  6 Go to step 4.

So there isn't anything _extra_ I want to happen or needs scripting; I
just want never to get to step 4!

Smylers