[Wylug-help] Radio on BBC iPlayer [a "solution"]

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 19:29:23 BST 2008

2008/6/29 Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com>:
> On June 12th Dave Fisher wrote:
>
>> Just in case it helps someone else.  I'm not sure which action
>> actually did the trick, but here's the procedure that I followed:
>> <Snip>
>
> Now that we've got this working, the BBC is apparently changing things!
> I can't tell if it'll be an improvement -- MP3 sounds more Linux-
> friendly than Real/Windows Media, but any change has the capability to
> stuff up things that currently work:
>
>  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/25/bbc_iplayer_update/
>  http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/06_june/25/iplayer.shtml
>
> The press release, issued on Wednesday, says:
>
>  The new-look service, which launches in beta tomorrow, will 'dual run'
>  alongside the existing iPlayer for the next few weeks.
>
> Can anybody find this?  The default IPlayer is still Real-based and only
> allows skipping forward in limited increments, and I can't see any 'try
> the new beta version' links.  Cheers.

It took me a while... Scroll down to the bottom of the iPlayer
homepage. The link says iPlayer latest Try it now - no mention of beta
until you hover over the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayerbeta/

Seems to work okay most of the time, though I've had trouble with some
of the streams (both radio & TV) ignoring the play/pause button. I had
to close the browser tab to stop Hancock's Half Hour. It's done it on
both mt desktop and Eee PC so I think it must be a Flash issue. The
bigger video size (640 wide compared to 515) is helpful, as my Eee is
too slow to run it full screen, so at least it more or less fills the
screen now.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet http://www.dbg400.net /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities \ /