[Wylug-help] Security log message

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Mar 9 22:41:50 GMT 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I think that indicates that there was no successful login.  Right?

Without other lines, I'd draw the same conclusion.

>> Indeed not.  I've previously used iptables rules that limit the number of
>> connection attempts per minute per IP, which can at least limit their
>> ability to brute force attack your machine, while minimising the risk of
>> accidentally blocking authorized traffic, as I've managed in the past with
>> a slightly over zealous self-protection system.
>>
> I've read about that, but never done it.  I'll look into that.

I note from my (slight edited) notes...

iptables -N conlimit
iptables -A conlimit -m hashlimit --hashlimit 10/min \
--hashlimit-mode srcip --hashlimit-htable-gcinterval 36000000 \
--hashlimit-htable-expire 36000000 --hashlimit-name conhash \
-m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

iptables -A conlimit -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A conlimit -j REJECT

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -s ! 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j conlimit

> The trouble with being largely self-taught is that knowledge tends to be
> somewhat patchy :-)

Whether self taught, educated, or trained, I think that's always the case.
The trick is knowing where the patches lie.

jh

--
"When I was a boy I was told anybody could become President.  I'm beginning to
  believe it."                                        -- Clarence Darrow