[Wylug-help] Security log message

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 08:27:06 GMT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Jim Jackson wrote:

>>> This is a new situation to me as I've not used imap from outside until
>>> recently, so all help is most gratefully received.
>>
>> I wouldn't treat this differently to having ssh accessible externally.
>>

> Or indeed ANY service :-)

Well, I'd slightly disagree with that.  I specifically wanted an example of a
service that required a user login.

> Compared with the regular unremitting attempts at hacking my web server, and
> the regular pokes at ssh, the IMAP "attacks" are pretty tame.

ssh certainly gets a pounding from brute force attempts.  That was why I was
tempted by rate limiting it.

jh

--
"It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me.  It's the one that
  says 'To whom it may concern'."