[Wylug-help] DNS problems on a PC

Chris Davies chris at roaima.co.uk
Wed May 14 23:31:28 BST 2008

Mike Goodman wrote:
> No joy, I'm afraid. The new settings were cleared in the reboot. How do
> I glue them in?

I'm running Debian rather than Ubuntu, but this is how I've done it.

The DHCP address is obtained by dhclient3. Digging around you'll find
that its configuration file is /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.

If you ensure the following lines are in that file it should get close
to what you want. I've got a very similar file here on my laptop (the
basic difference is the domain-name and domain-name-servers lines - I
only have one domain-name-servers entry, and the domain-name stuff I now
actually do in a network script inside /etc/network/if-up.d/local.)

####################################
# Resources wanted from the DHCP server
#
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers,
         domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
         netbios-name-servers,
         time-offset, ntp-servers,
         wpad;

####################################
# Resources needed from the DHCP server
#
require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;

# Post-processing of the result
#
append domain-name " MY.LOCAL.NETWORK.DOMAIN.co.uk ";
supersede domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220;

Good luck,
Chris