[Wylug-help] Web caching/proxy

Kevin Barrass K.J.Barrass at leeds.ac.uk
Thu May 15 10:38:40 BST 2008

Hi

I'm wanting to setup a Proxy/Web cache at home on my ADSL connection
mainly for personal development as well as to give a small boost to the
performance of my connection.

I'm more from an appliance point of view been a network guy so was
looking to buy a second hand "small" Netapp netcache but was also
thinking of setting up a small squid proxy box, im not personally aware
of many other major web caches.

Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations on the above or other
products. Needs to be either free or very cheap via Ebay :)
If its a software based solution like squid then one that sits on Linux
would be best for me, IPv6 support would be a bonus but not essential.

Regards
Kev