[Wylug-help] HP proliant

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Wed May 21 08:27:37 BST 2008

> If any one has been having problems getting smartstart 5.5 for the
> proliant g1 (ish) then follow the link.
>
> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/CP00
> 5001-005500/CP00
> 5250.ZIP
> <javascript:openExternal('ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/se
> rvers/supportsoftware/CP005001-005500/CP005250.ZIP')>

Hi,

My first post :) to WYLUG. I have watched this with interest and have a
small observation and a question. I too have a Compaq Proliant server, a
DL360 1U rack mount device. I found SmartStart and installed it and then
moved on to install SME server (http://www.smeserver.org/) where I came
unstuck.

SmartStart, as I understand it, is effectively (and in common with other
Compaqs of a similar vinatge) a BIOS installed to the hard disk. When I
installed SME server by default it overwrote the mbr/partiton SmartStart
was installed in to meaning that it then wasn't possible to hit F10 at
boot to get back in to make any configuration changes without rebooting
with the SmartStart CD in the drive.

Andy McNabb's pages on this were useful
(http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/proliant/) and offers advice on how
to not overwrite by installing to hd0,0 rather than hd0 if using GRUB.
However I didn't spot an option to change the default install with SME
server and overwrote SmartStart.

Does anyone have any advice on how one should phrase a command line /
GRUB install to persuade an OS to not install to HD0 but to go to HD0,0
and avoid trashing SmartStart?

Regards Mike

--

The views expressed in this email are those of the correspondent
and are not those of his employer.

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it
for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or
falsified.