[Wylug-help] More html advice, please

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue May 27 00:45:09 BST 2008

Anne Wilson writes:

> On Monday 26 May 2008 18:57:01 Smylers wrote:
>
> >   font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;
>
> Is the family for 'Arial' 'sans-serif' then?

Yes.  The list is here:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#value-def-generic-family

Note that Arial is very Windows-specific (Arial was created by tweaking
a different typeface to have the proportions of Helvetica, but without
having to pay licence fees for actual proper Helvetica), so you almost
certainly want to specify Helvetica as an alternative to Arial before
resorting to 'anything sans'.

Not many people can spot the difference between Helvetica and Arial, but
those who generally have a preference for The Real Thing.  So you may as
well put Helvetica first, for the benefit of those who have both
installed.

At least some Linux systems appear to come with a Helvetica clone called
FreeSans Medium, so I'd throw that in there too:

  font-family: Helvetica, "FreeSans Medium", Aria, sans-serif;

Smylers