[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 14:29:41 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
>  Roger, you may have already checked this, but in the postfix main.cfg
>  there is a definition of where it looks for aliases. In some installs
>  it looks at /etc/aliases, but in others it looks at /postfix/aliases.

You are right that that the reference to the aliases file was wrong - on
the old box this was in /etc/postfix/aliases while on the new one it's
/etc/aliases.  At the same time as correcting the entry in main.cf I
also edited aliases itself, so that system mail is to be redirected to
'roger'.

The effect is that now, instead of the DULL messages - and the test
message itself - ending up in /var/spool/mail/root they end up in
/var/spool/mail/roger which seems to me to indicate that this element of
the system now works 'properly', but the original problem - mail going
to /var/spool/mail/$USER instead of to /home/$USER/mail - is unaffected.

Thanks for adding 1 piece to the jigsaw, Anne.