[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 14:50:07 UTC 2008

Lee Evans wrote:
>  If you're using the NTL SMTP server, this is what I suspect is
>  happening:
>
>  You send the email from Thunderbird, via the NTL SMTP server.

Yes.

>  NTL SMTP server delivers message to roger-beaumont.co.uk, via Message
>  Labs,

Yes

>  who I assume then forward that on to your home server (tower2)

No - fetchmail on tower 2 retrieves the message using the POP3 protocol
- but anyway, the message arrives on tower2.

>  Tower2 doesn't know what to do with the message, for one reason or
>  another, and wants to send a delivery failure back to the sender
>  (also roger-beamont.co.uk)

I agree. The issue is "why?"  'fetchmail -V -v -v' (maximum verbosity)
reports that fetchmail is configured to recognise
'roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk' as local user 'roger'

I think a hint - that I don't know how to fix - is that it also says:
"Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)"

Is there something I need to do to specify that fetchmail should use
postfix as the transport/delivery agent?

>  It tries to do so by direct MX delivery, thus tries to deliver back
>  to roger-beaumont.co.uk via messagelabs.
>  DUL is the 'dial up users list' - not so common these days with
>  broadband and static IPs common place. Because you're on it, Message
>  Labs and many other people won't accept your email.

Of course that must be right.  The DUL is something I've come across
before, which is why I use the NTL mailserver to send mail, not
sendmail: I was told when about to swap from the Virgin Home service to
ntl: Business that I'd get a static IP, but in the event, that turns out
to be an optional extra, so anything forwarded automatically from my
server to the Internet is indeed identified as from a DUL IP.

>  If you can reconfigure your server (tower2) so that it doesn't send
>  out via direct to MX delivery, but instead uses the NTL SMTP servers
>  you should at least be able to get the failure or NDR that it's
>  trying to send you, and can further diagnose from there.

Sounds sensible, but I've not even scratched the surface of that aspect;
any hints where to start looking?

Thanks for all the help,

Roger