[Wylug-help] mail server problems

Roger Beaumont roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 15:53:10 UTC 2008

Andrew J Cole wrote:
>  Your postfix configuration on the new box appears to be your culprit.

<chuckle> I think that too, but don't know how to fix it.

>  Earlier Lee said ...
<snip>

>  Are you certain that you have configured postfix on the new box to
>  accept e-mail addressed to XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk for local
>  delivery?

Not certain at all <grin> but main.cf does contain:
mydestination = localhost, tower.beaunet.homelinux.net,
localhost.beaunet.homelinux.net,
  localhost.internal, tower.internal, localhost.localdomain,
roger-beaumont.co.uk

> > Tower2 doesn't know what to do with the message, for one reason or
> > another, and wants to send a delivery failure back to the sender
> > (also roger-beaumont.co.uk)
>
>  Indeed it appears that postfix is not configured correctly to perform
>  local delivery for XXXX at roger-beaumont.co.uk and (as Lee said) is
>  also not setup correctly as a "smarthost" to relay everything through
>  the NTL SMTP server (its attempting to use direct delivery &
>  messagelabs is rejecting since your IP is - correctly I presume - in
>  the DUL).

You've not only identified the problem, but at the same time, my area of
ignorance.  I've looked through both main.cf and master.cf (attached in
cf.zip, holding those files renamed here as *.cf.t2 to identify that
they are the versions for tower2) until I'm blue in the face.  Some of
them I think I understand, other parts I can make guesses, the rest I
can't even guess at.  My fond hope was that since they came from a
working system, they'd just work, but no such luck.

Thanks to everyone here for being so helpful.

Thanks to you lot I now think I know fairly accurately what's going
wrong.  All I need now is to learn how to fix it! <grin>

BTW, procmail is also installed (a default that I didn't change).  Is
that an issue?  'ps -e' doesn't show that it is running.

Roger